Humba with Pineapple

Two of my nephews are with us now for the whole summer. And because it's Sunday which is our schedule for all meat day, I asked them and my son in the morning what I'll cook for lunch. They suggested unanimously, Humba! Sweet Humba! Actually, even if I didn't ask them I knew they'd tell me the same because I overheard them discussing about it in the living. My son was the two's leader. 

I already have Humba entry here but this one is different because I added pineapple tidbits in it. 


Ingredients used are pork belly, soy sauce, vinegar, black peppercorns, laurel leaf, pineapple tidbits and brown sugar. Vinegar can be omitted if pineapple is used. Same as pineapple can be omitted if vinegar is used. I prefer mine with both because this dish tastes better when sourly and sweet, especially as it age. The addition of pineapple can really add up delicious flavor. And with enough vinegar this doesn't get spoiled quickly. 

Although the name is only one, the dish may differ in taste. If we prefer ours to be "sweet and sour", others prefer having extra sweetness or totally discard sugar in their recipe. There are also some who doesn't like adding either of the pineapple or the vinegar. So there are different styles in cooking.

This Humba is one Pinoy favorites, especially in the Visayas and Mindanao regions.